Items that are most commonly noted on Inspection Reports
Repairing common inspection issues before you list your home can provide many benefits to both you and the buyer i.e. negotiating the price and speed up the home inspection to prevent delay in closing. Some buyers get nervous and walk away from purchasing if there are too many items noted on the Inspection Report. These are common issues that we suggest repairing before the inspection is scheduled:
- Confirm that water, electric and gas service are on, with gas pilot lights burning.
- Ensure pets won't hinder the inspection. Ideally, they should be removed from premises or secured outside. Tell your agent about any pets at home.
- Replace all burned out bulbs to avoid a "Light is inoperable" report that may suggest an electrical problem.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and replace dead batteries. If you don’t have carbon monoxide detectors currently in the home-purchase before the inspection and install.
- Clean or replace dirty HVAC air filters. They should fit securely.
- Remove stored items, debris and wood from foundation. These may be cited as "conducive conditions" for termites.
- Remove items blocking access to HVAC equipment, electric service panels, water heaters, attics and crawl spaces.
- Toilets in the house are loose which can cause moisture seepage. Replace the seals and secure the toilets.
- Hot and cold faucets in the bathrooms and kitchen are reversed
- Pilot lights are not lit or will remain lit.
- Windows are missing screens, inoperable, have failed seals or glass is missing.
- Dirt is not sloping away from the foundation for proper drainage.
- Insulation is missing on the exterior suction lines on the AC.
- The condenser pad on AC unit has settled or is uneven. This can result in damage to the compressor.
- Garage doors are not property functioning
- Downspouts are property connected to the gutters and are extended away from the foundation and sidewalk and clear of debris
If you would like to set up a free consultation to talk about buying or selling a home, contact us at 970-631-7111 to schedule an appointment.